Monday, May 6, 2013

lavender painting

Sometimes you can't help but feel excited when you begin and painting, and this was one of those. I painted after a 2 week vacation and I was energized to be back in my studio. I always get a kick out of tackling these big square paintings and if they work they're a thrill to do.


This photo shows the early stages of under painting. To the right of my easel is my Ipad. On this I have my color plan and reference photos that I'm working from.
*

It had been years since I'd painted lavender and at this time of year it looks so good in my garden I felt compelled to do it, the tulips laid on the table cloth added so much interest and direction for the eye.

I finished it after about 2 weeks, but then realized I wanted to manipulate the red drape behind the lavender. A small change, but a strong improvement.


The first time I finished it .
(spot the difference)


Arrangement of six tulips
36X36
Acrylic on wood



(detail)  Sometimes seeing a detail really shows the color.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful work! The changes you made help to hightlight the lavender more and the deep red is a magnificent backdrop.

    ReplyDelete