Monday, May 30, 2011

Painting in the deep dark woods

Well, not really deep dark woods.... more nice leafy ones near my home called Castle Rock SP.

I thought I'd throw up a post before I go on holiday for a number of weeks. 

I painted one of these a good while ago and since I've been enjoying painting Plein air and landscapes I thought I'd revist some old favorite locations. I love painting the complexity of a forest in a simpler Alla prima type style.

Light through rocks and trees (Castle Rock SP)
12X16
The older painting (two years ago approx.)
It's a great park, nice woodland with these fantastic boulders, and rocks.

Through the woods (Castle Rock SP)
14X18
On location, probably a very similar spot to the 1st.

Flowing through the wood
18X36
Did some quick sketches for this in the field, but painted later in the studio. The original seems to hold a little more depth and resonance that the photograph suggests, I wonder why?  I really pushed the colors around in this rendering responding to the warmth in the rocks in a dramatic way. I consciously kept some areas very contemporary in approach. I like the Fauvism feel to this painting with the palette choices; it feels like a bridge between my Still Life paintings and some of my landscapes....Something to explore perhaps?

2 comments:

  1. There great. I can see your underpainting like you do in the still lifes, Really intersting to look at . A true Colourist .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, LOVE them!!! Fantastic! Hope to see more of these!

    ReplyDelete