Saturday, April 17, 2010

Changes

It's commonly said that one of the biggest mistakes and artist can make as he completes a painting, is to 'fiddle' or 'fuss' with a painting. 90% of the time I'd say this is pretty accurate; it's rare that the repainting or painting-over of an element within a painting can ever recapture the vigor and essence of the original. (Though we all do it sometimes and regret not leaving it alone in the 1st place!)

But a fear of 'fiddling' shouldn't be confused with 'reworking'. Okay granted for the most part I'm quibbling about semantics. But if there's a clear difference in the process or even the thinking of the artist, then this can often be a successful and necessary part of the process.

On occassion when I take a painting to completion, I realize I still need it to sit for a while. Whether it be hours, days, weeks or months, this settling time for a painting can sometimes generate change and in most cases these carefully considered changes are for the better.
.
This is an example of a painting that had long periods of 'resting'. Though signed, I never felt it finished, while I continued to change colors in the table cloth, fruit and Lilies. I think it's fair to say I 'struggled' with resolving this painting, but when I finally found the right colors I new it was truly finished and was able to walk away happy, with the achievement.
.before

The painting above I realized needed a little adjusting I was never happy with the cool hues contrasting with the strong colors on the table and table elements. I need time to digest this and think about what colors might have made a better painting, before I was able to rework it with some warmer hues.

after
.
before

I was in truth always pretty happy with this painting, but I still found myself adjusting it many weeks later. I made a lot of subtle changes to the cloth, all I felt for the better, and the color change on the pot, helped to further tie the painting together.

after


detail

4 comments:

  1. Its funny you should say that as I find exactly the opposite. Leaving a painting over night or a few days even I can really see were I have gone wrong and what needs to be done with the exeption of Plein air painting which for me needs to be left mostly alone. Love your work Angus but were all different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found you on Face Book and just love your work. These divisions in the picture that look as though they're cut and pasted are fabulous. Almost like a mixed media piece. Love your palette, too. Everything works here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a terrific lesson in use of color, Angus. Viewing your changes is like being in a university classroom, although I do not recall my professors admitting to making many changes. I do recall one who went through a divorce. He would readily admit that his style changed after the divorce -- became more fluid, with brighter colors and sometimes almost child-like subject matter. I learned a lot from him.

    On the other hand, I am concerned about a friend whose work is changing as he grows older, but the change is confusing to me. Sometimes I think he just splashes color around on the canvas, when he originally was a very detail-oriented painter who used symbols which stimulated both mind and unconscious. He finished up a master's degree a few years ago, so I felt he was just trying to earn grades and please professors, but I am not so sure anymore.

    Anyway, as I attempt to get back into my creative life, your work is good inspiration. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this sounds ridiculous, but, your paintings are like big boxes of jelly beans. They are so juicy and colorful, I want to lick them. Just gorgeous and fun to look at.

    ReplyDelete