Monday, May 24, 2010

A recent commission

This commission was finished recently. The planned painting was 40X55, painted on canvas.

Originally I supplied a few color plans, to guidelines supplied by the collector (the Dieters), the image below was thier chosen color design.

The Dieters had specific colors in mind for the work, because they wanted it to take pride and place in a new room extension of their home.

The painting after initial lines are marked out and some under painting.





Usually I paint the flower foliage pretty early on, but in this case it came later. A key reason for this was the Dieters had requested some 'color magic'. They'd chosen a color plan with primarily cool colors, however they were concerned the final painting shouldn't be too cold. In short, they wanted it to be a warm, cool colored painting - no small task. For that reason I established the correct major background tones first and when I came to the greens of the foliage I took special care to keep them in the right ranges. I also used a lot of the warm under painting, allowing it to poke through. All of these things helped warm the painting up.

The final painting.



This weekend I finally met the Dieter family at Gallery i fine art (Monterey, CA) and they saw the painting for the first time. They loved it, (always good)!

1 comment:

  1. Really lovely. I like the underpainting. Interestly I used to always use an orange ground...I like the way it warms the shadows .I see Cobalt blue/ violets at the top cool cerulean in the middle with warm bits and warm at the bottom. Very Nice! Alan

    ReplyDelete